Museum GherdëinaThe Gherdeina Local Heritage Museum is situated right in the center of Ortisei and exhibits valuable collections related to the cultural and natural history of the Gardena Valley: precious sculptures and paintings of local artists of the last four centuries and a unique collection of ancient wooden toys of the area, spectacular minerals and fossils of plants and marine creatures testitying to the fascinating evolution and creation of the Dolomites as extensive coral reefs over 200 million years ago, as well as remarkable archaeological finds of the oldest human traces of the area.
Two very extraordinary exhibits are the richly illuminated Lenten cloth of the Saint James’ Church above Ortisei (1620) and the very impressive original cruzifix of Seurasas (1932).
The multimedial exhibition "Bierjun 1490. A Secret Passion" shows the tiny bedchamber room from the Bierjun farmhouse near Ortisei with very rare drawings from the Late Middle Ages. The delicate drawings on the wooden walls are shown through a "digital window".
The Museum Gherdëina also houses the Archive and permanent exhibition of Luis Trenker (1892-1990), actor and director of many mountain films.
Summer15.05–31.10: mo–fr 10–12, 2-6 pm
01.07–31.08: mo–sa 10–12, 2-6 pm
Winter06.12–Easter: tu–fr 10–12, 2-6 pm
29.03, open 10-12 am
Christmas time 06–09.12, 26.12–06.01: daily 10–12, 2-6 pm
closed: 24., 25. + 31.12. + 01.01
- 7,00 € Adults
- 4,50 € discounts (65 years +, groups over 15 persons, visitors with disabilities)
- 14,00 € family card (2 adults with 3 children under 14)
- 7,00 € family card (1 adult with 1 child under 14)
- 2,50 € children and junior 6-18 years, students (under 26)
- 1,50 € students (in school groups)
- children under 6 years
- Tutors and attendants of groups and scholars
- Teachers preparing their visit to the museum
- Members of the Museum
- Members of the Union di Ladins de Gherdeina
- Members of ICOM (International Council of Museums)
- Proprietary “Kulturpass”
- Members of “Val Gardena Active”
Guided toursRegular tours and activities
Every thursday 4-6 pm summer program "Val Gardena Active" (in preparation)
Guided tours for groups
in English are possible after advance reservation
40 € / max. 25 persons
LearningThe Museum Gherdeina has developed programs for children and students to encourage encounters with the museum's collections and developing a deep connection to works of local artistic expression and historical tradition.
(in Ladin, German and Italian language)